The Berlin Soviet War Memorial in Treptower Park is the biggest of the three war memorials the USSR left in Berlin after the end of the Second World War. It was built to the design of the Soviet architect Yakov Belopolsky as a memorial for 5,000 of the 80,000 Soviet soldiers who died in the Battle of Berlin between April and May 1945. It opened four years after World War II on May 8, 1949, and it used to serve as the central war memorial in East Berlin.
It doesn’t look like much, but the building of the Yugoslav Ministry of Defence was considered to be a masterpiece of post-war architecture. Today, the building is better known as one of the most famous ruins of Yugoslavian history, and we went there to take a look at this vital piece of recent history.