Umea is the European Capital of Culture in 2014. But, what is that? European Capital of Culture is an annual EU event. The aim is to highlight Europe’s common cultural heritage and arouse an interest in the cultural richness that can be found in the EU countries. Umea did a bid for this back in 2008 and everything went smoothly. And now we are going to be there trying to capture what makes Umea one of the most interesting cities in northern Europe.
When we said on our facebook page about Fotostrasse becoming something bigger in 2014, this is what we had in mind.
What are we going to do in Umea
Our goal there is simple: to see and photograph as much as possible. But we have to follow a few events and there are a few we are looking forward to:
- City of Winter is the name they chose to show how an array of international artists will create works based on their relationships to snow and ice, and will together transform Umea. City of Winter will fill it with snow, ice, fire and video. And we are going to be there for it.
- the Bildmuseet is something we read about and it looks beautiful. Now, consider that, inside it, we gonna see surrealistic pieces from 30′s, 40′s and 50′s by the French-Italian artist Leonor Fini. Paintings, drawings, objects, design, litterature, film and photography. It sounds like a good deal for mwe.
- we hope to manage to have time and strength to see Kvelertak on saturday. This band is amazing.
- since we are into heavy metal and hardcore, the exhibition Umea – The European Capital of Hardcore 1989-2000 sounds like an awesome plan for us. The Umea Hardcore Archive was founded in 2011 and since then collects materials related to Umea Hardcore. We are going to have fun in there, we are sure.
- Umea has a Guitar Museum and, of course, we must go there!
- and, finally, we are looking forward to see some Northern Lights or, try to see it.
Also, we created a foursquare list with everything we want to visit in Umea. If you are planning to go there soon, save that list and enjoy our tips!
Now, go to visit www.umea2014.se and see what is all about!